'I'm not having hip-hop at Glastonbury. It's wrong,' the Oasis guitarist had said in April last year after it was announced the 99 Problems star was to headline the Somerset festival.
Gallagher's comments were largely decried and despite the Mancunian's claims that Jay-Z was ill-suited to the event, the rapper stole the show and his set was heralded as one of the best Glastonbury performances of all time.
Speaking on BBC1's The Andrew Marr Show after supporting Coldplay at Wembley Stadium, Jay-Z said the response of the Glastonbury crowd was akin to winning his first Grammy award.
'It was one of those times where, you know... almost like knocking the door down,' he added.
'Noel Gallagher, I think he perpetuated the old way of thinking. We don't think like that, or listen to music like that [now]. On my iPod is the Beatles, Jay-Z, Kings Of Leon, Lil Wayne, Grizzly Bear, Arctic Monkeys.
'I listen to a diverse arrangement of music, and I think that's how kids listen to music now.'
The rap star and entrepreneur also opined that Gallagher's criticisms seemed out of sync with the opinions of the general public.
'It was almost like the people were saying 'No, we want that to happen. That's the natural progression. We like rap, we like rock. We like everything'. And it was just that last... that archaic thinking that was in the way of this festival,' he explained.
'If we believe that a thing that started should be held forever I'd still be a slave, right? It'd still be in slavery. Things change and the world changes and I think it's best to embrace change.'
No comments:
Post a Comment