The Three Lions made a mockery of the history books, settling the demons of November 2007 when their opponents had ended England's hopes of qualifying for Euro 2008.
A scintillating attacking performance saw Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard both grab a brace, while Wayne Rooney notched a fifth after Eduardo had registered the scantest of consolations for Croatia.
'In the first 20 minutes tonight, we were fantastic,' Capello said after the match. 'I don't think we've ever been so strong and compact as we were at the start of this game.
'I think this was the best performance under me. We played fast, pressed the ball and our movement was fantastic.
'Both of our performances against Croatia pleased me. We need to press hard, play fast and develop our movement on and off the ball - and we showed that in both games.'
Lampard, who began the rout with a seventh minute penalty, was equally buoyant.
'The way we've played tonight typifies our campaign I think,' he said. 'We've got a long way to go to win the whole thing, obviously, but we've qualified and we're there.
'It's nice to get excited at the moment and we will celebrate this, I'm sure.'
No comments:
Post a Comment