Thursday, 10 September 2009

Ellen to replace Abdul as American Idol judge

Ellen DeGeneres to take Paula Abdul
Chatshow host Ellen DeGeneres is to take Paula Abdul's place on the American Idol judging panel, it has been announced.

Abdul left the hit talent show after eight years last month, amid reports of a contractual dispute with producers Fox.

But the judging panel will still be a quartet for the coming ninth season, after a Fox statement issued on Wednesday evening confirmed that comedienne, actress and TV presenter DeGeneres would join judges Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Kara DioGuardi on the show.

The 51-year-old will join the series after its prelimary audition phase, with stars including Katy Perry, Shania Twain and the UK's own Victoria Beckham set to serve as guest judges during the early rounds.

American Idol creator and executive producer Simon Fuller - the former manager of the Spice Girls - said he 'could not be more excited to have Ellen join the American Idol family'.

'Ellen has been a fan of the show for many years and her love of music and understanding of the American public will bring a unique touch to our judging panel,' Fuller added.

Speaking after her talkshow was taped on Wednesday, DeGeneres assured fans her morning programme would remain on air, adding: 'I'm going to have a day job and a night job.'

She told her audience: 'Hopefully I'm the people's point of view because I'm just like you. I sit at home and I watch it... I'm not looking at it in a critical way from the producer's mind. I'm looking at it as a person who is going to buy the music and is going to relate to that person.'

The next season of American Idol begins in January.ADNFCR-708-ID-19354254-ADNFCR

No comments:

Post a Comment