Wednesday, 23 September 2009

Williams test for F2 champion Soucek

Soucek hopes his Williams test will lead to an F1 race-seat in 2010
The newly crowned formula two champion Andy Soucek has earned himself a test drive with the Williams formula one team.

The 24-year old Spaniard, who is the first to clinch an F2 title since Mike Thackwell in 1984, believes that the Williams test will provide him with the perfect opportunity to step up to F1 next season.

'As you can imagine I feel fantastic. I still can't believe it,' said a delighted Soucek.

'I have performed well throughout the championship and I have to be very proud.

'The test with Williams is a real chance for me to get into Formula One.

'It's going to be my second F1 drive following my test with Toyota in 2006, but it will be a new experience for me as it will be with slicks, and with Williams who have had a good year.

'Hopefully I'll have a very good test. I'm going to prepare myself physically as well as I can, and if it goes well we will see what happens next year.'

Current Williams test driver Nico Hulkenburg was crowned GP2 Series champion last time out at Monza and is believed to have already signed a deal with an F1 team for next season.

Williams have yet to confirm their driver line-up for 2010, but Nico Rosberg is linked to a drive with either Brawn GP or McLaren, while Kazuki Nakajima’s future is uncertain following a poor performance this year.

Soucek has been the class of the F2 field this season, winning four races, securing eight podiums and finishing in the top four in the last ten races.

Team principal Sir Frank Williams said: 'I personally offer Andy my very sincere congratulations on effectively dominating a very close category of motor racing.

'I remember saying a year ago F2 would join GP2 as the desired or accepted stream of new up-and-coming drivers for Formula One, and I will, as a result of this season, continue to believe the same.'ADNFCR-708-ID-19371451-ADNFCR

No comments:

Post a Comment