The Italian has been with Force India in a test and reserve driver capacity since the beginning of 2008 after he lost his contract with Toro Rosso came to an end.
The Silverstone-based squad drafted in Liuzzi to take over from Giancarlo Fisichella, who will stand in for the injured Felipe Massa at Ferrari for the five remaining races of the season, before taking on a test and reserve driver role with the Maranello team.
In an official Force India statement, Liuzzi said he feels that the straight-line aerodynamic tests the team has carried out should help him when he jumps in the VJM02 at Monza.
'We did one test in February, but it was only a shakedown at Silverstone,' explained Liuzzi.
'We got the car quite late, so we only had time to do one proper test with the race drivers to get ready for Australia.
'From that point on I could only do a few aero tests, which is not proper testing, but at least it's miles in the car to get used to the systems.
'I've also been spending a lot of time at races with the team and also competing in other series like A1GP and Speedcar so I haven't lost that hunger.'
The Italian said he was sure that he would be back in a race seat before long and, although his best result at Monza was a 14th place with the Toro Rosso team, he is confident he can perform straight out of the box.
'I feel very much involved with the team and with the improvements we made,' said Liuzzi.
'A lot of the developments have been made with the wind tunnel and I'm very happy that the team is moving forward and we are doing a great job.
'For sure in Spa it was a bit of a dream for us to be on pole position, but it's been a difficult year because it's been my second year as a third driver.
'I think I'm born for racing, and in the end it's difficult to watch the races on TV.
'But inside myself I was pretty confident that I'd be back in a race seat soon, and it kept me motivated for the future. I was ready to jump in the car whenever I was needed.
'I have raced at Monza, coming 14th and 17th so I finished both times.
'But they were good results for the team I was with, because at Toro Rosso we always struggled for top speeds in Monza.
'I'm ready to jump in the car because I kept myself really fit, and the work we've been doing is helping me a lot to keep me sharp.
'Monza will be perfect because it's a good from a physical approach.
'Singapore would have been tougher, because I don't know the circuit, and everyone complained last year that it was very physical.
'The speed doesn't concern me and I think we'll be close to the pace straight away.
'I'm more fit than ever.'
No comments:
Post a Comment