Thursday, 17 September 2009

Flintoff rejects England deal

Andrew Flintoff turns down contract offer from England
Andrew Flintoff has turned down an incremental deal offered by England, and is set to become a freelance international cricketer.

The burly all-rounder, who is recovering from a knee injury following his retirement from Test cricket, rejected the deal in order to play around the world.

'One of the things I want to pursue more than anything is playing in different worldwide locations,'

'I've been very lucky playing for England for the past 11 years and I've sampled different countries, but I've always wanted the opportunity to play more in these places, get to know them and the way they go about their cricket.'

However, the 31-year-old said he remains committed to playing one-day and Twenty20 cricket for England and Lancashire.

'I said when I retired from Test cricket that my ambition was to become the best one-day and Twenty20 player in the world and playing in all these different countries can only help,' he added.

Preston-born Flintoff, who is based in Dubai for the next few months of rehabilitation, can now decide when to rest and play rather than be under the direction of the ECB.

He concluded by saying he was 'flattered' to be offered a contract by England, which he 'wasn't really expecting', but stated his desire to control his own future without outside influence.

Speaking after Flintoff's announcement, Lancashire chief executive Jim Cumbes said: 'Lancashire, as we have been throughout his entire career, are fully supportive of Fred's ambitions.

'We hope to see him play a leading role for us in our one-day teams for years to come.'ADNFCR-708-ID-19364993-ADNFCR

No comments:

Post a Comment