The Croatian international was handed a two-game suspension for simulation in order to win a penalty in the second leg of Arsenal's Champions League qualifier against Celtic at the Emirates Stadium last month.
But after an appeal by the club on behalf of the player, Uefa accepted that there was contact between Eduardo and Bhoys keeper Artur Boruc and overturned the ban.
'Following examination of all the evidence, notably the declarations of both the referee and the referees' assessor, as well as the various video footage, it was not established to the panel's satisfaction that the referee had been deceived in taking his decision on the penalty,' a statement from Uefa reads.
'Therefore, the decision of the Uefa control and disciplinary body of September 1st, in which the player was suspended for two Uefa club competition matches, is annulled.'
In response, Eduardo said he is 'very pleased that we have finally arrived at the truth'.
'All we needed to do was to prove what happened and we have managed to do that. This decision makes me feel a lot better,' said the Brazilian-born forward, who has been roundly booed since the incident by fans in England.
'I certainly feel relieved now. I have had great support from my family, friends and of course everyone at the club.
'Now I just want to forget about this and think about our match against Standard Liege on Wednesday.'
He added: 'I just want to say that I'm a fair player.
'To score goals you must take your opportunities and I'm not the type of player who needs to be dishonest to score goals.'
Eduardo was set to miss the match in Belgium this week, along with the Gunners' home clash with Olympiakos two weeks later but is now eligible to play a part in both, if selected.
No comments:
Post a Comment