Monday, 14 September 2009

Barrichello speechless after Italian grand prix victory

Barrichello has closed the gap to Button in the drivers
Rubens Barrichello said he was speechless following his victory in the Italian grand prix.

The Brazilian has closed the gap to his team-mate Jenson Button who leads the championship, taking two points out of the Briton's lead.

The win for Barrichello is his second of the season and after the race, the Brawn driver said: 'It feels great.

'On the lap following the chequered flag I had no words. I had a tough night [on Saturday] because we didn’t know if the gearbox would last.

'We did have an over-torque in Spa so there were some concerns, but the gearbox is great and I really think it’s going to last all four races.'

He continued: 'It was great to get a good start.

'Obviously Kovalainen was coming quite fast with his power button and I had to defend myself so I went wide.

'It was a bit tough, but I had a great first lap and that made my race really.

'My pace was there, my brakes were great and it was pretty much like Valencia, as my car was there all the time, so it felt great and I have no big worries.'

Barrichello said he enjoyed the support he received from the Tifosi while on the podium.

'I feel really good when I see all the public,' said Barrichello.

'Obviously they are more in red than white, but it still feels great.

'We made a great decision [in qualifying] and the fact of the matter is that the guys with the KERS have 20 meters on us at the start, so we had to have that in mind.

'There will be times when we don’t have to think about that, but the start here is so big.

'Luckily we had a good start and we had good pace and my pace allowed us to move in front after their last pit-stop.'

Going into the next race in Singapore, Brawn has extended it’s lead in both the drivers’ and constructors’ championships and both Red Bull drivers are pretty much out of the running.ADNFCR-708-ID-19360598-ADNFCR

No comments:

Post a Comment