Thursday, 15 October 2009

Alex signs new Chelsea contract

Brazil defender Alex signs new contract with Chelsea until 2014
Brazilian defender Alex has signed a new four-year contract at Chelsea, the club have announced.

The 27-year-old, who is in his third season at Stamford Bridge, has made 80 appearances and scored seven goals.

Alex joins a number of big-name Blues players to commit their futures to the club since the summer after John Terry, Didier Drogba, Ashley Cole, John Obi Mikel, Florent Malouda and, most recently, Salomon Kalou on Monday.

'It was easy to decide to sign,' said Alex, who has recently resumed full training after undergoing a groin operation in the summer.

'Now I hope to get back to playing well. My condition now is so-so. I think in two more weeks I am 100 per cent and can play without a problem.'

Alex is keen to return to the first-team at the Bridge in order to boost his hopes of playing for his national side at the World Cup finals in South Africa next year.

'I hope now to start to play in the Chelsea games and play very well,' he continued.

'[National team coach Dunga] has spoken to me and said: 'I am happy to see you playing again. I hope you start to play well and I will call you to play in the national team again.'

'To go back into the national team is important to me.

'Also the Chelsea team started very well this season, is at the top, and this season to win the Premier League is my aim.'

Blues manager Carlo Ancelotti is yet to see Alex in action since taking charge in June, but he said the player is well known to him after he saw him play for PSV Eindhoven against former club AC Milan in a 2005 Champions League semi-final.

'I am very happy that Alex has signed a new contract with the club. He is just returning from injury and surgery but he is a player I know well,' the Italian explained.

'I am familiar with all of his fantastic qualities, so I am delighted he will be with us for another four years.'ADNFCR-708-ID-19408552-ADNFCR

No comments:

Post a Comment