Wednesday, 7 October 2009

Serena back on top of tennis world

New world number one Serena Williams:
Serena Williams has reclaimed her place as the top-ranked player in the ladies game by progressing to the third round of the China Open in Beijing.

Her 6-3, 6-2 victory over Russia's Ekaterina Makarova means that Dinara Safina's troubled reign as world number one is over - Safina lost to Chinese wildcard Zhang Shuai in round two of the same tournament.

Commenting on her achievement, Williams said: 'Obviously I'm happy to be there because I've worked so hard this year to get there, I think I've earned it.'

Reclaiming the number one spot will be some consolation for her surprise semi-final loss to Kim Clijsters in last month's US Open.

It was during this defeat that Williams told a line judge that she was 'f****** going to take this f****** ball and shove it down your f****** throat'.

The outburst has made her the subject of an International Tennis Federation inquiry which could see her banned from competing at Grand Slam tournaments.

Such a punishment would help rivals such as Dinara Safina catch up with Williams in the world rankings.

Safina might well be secretly relieved to lose her number one status as she was much criticised for reaching the game's summit without winning a Grand Slam title.

The Russian made unwanted history during her second-round defeat by world number 226 Zhang as no previous world number one has ever lost to such a lowly-ranked player.ADNFCR-708-ID-19398351-ADNFCR

No comments:

Post a Comment