Friday, 9 October 2009

Rooney: I hope Portugal don't qualify

Wayne Rooney hopes Portugal and Cristiano Ronaldo don
England striker Wayne Rooney has said he hopes former Manchester United team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo and his Portugal side do not qualify for the 2010 World Cup finals.

The Three Lions have been knocked out of their last two major tournaments - the 2006 World Cup and the European Championships in 2004 - by the Portuguese.

And Rooney, who was sent off in the most recent defeat in Germany three years ago, said he would not mourn the absence of the world player of the year from the competition in South Africa.

'It would be nice to see Portugal not there because they have knocked us out of the last two tournaments,' the 23-year-old said.

'When we didn't qualify for Euro 2008, we got a lot of stick. You have banter with your team-mates.

'But it's important not to go too far because it is an important issue and, to be honest, I am not too bothered whether they are there or not.

'We need to concentrate on ourselves.'

Rooney admitted being 'pleased' that Ronaldo took the brunt of the English public's ire at the 2006 World Cup elimination after TV pictures showed the forward winking towards the Portuguese bench after the red card.

But he also said the 2010 World Cup represents an opportunity to redeem himself for the ill-advised stamp on Ricardo Carvalho.

'I didn't really get any stick - Ronaldo took a lot of it,' he continued.

'I still got it when I played for my club but that's normal. In that instance, I know I could have taken a lot more.

'I was disappointed with getting sent off and although I never meant to stamp on him when I watch it back it does look like I've stamped on him.

'Of course it's a straight red card, and I've got no argument about that.

'But I've got a chance to put that right in the next tournament.'ADNFCR-708-ID-19402879-ADNFCR

No comments:

Post a Comment