Last week, the Brazilian visited Ferraris headquarters in Maranello for the first time since his crash, to continue with his physical training and complete some running in the teams simulator.
Over the weekend, Massa flew to Paris where he underwent some neurological and ophthalmological tests under the supervision of the FIA, to determine whether he was ready to get behind the wheel of a formula one car again.
The test results were positive and Massa was given clearance to complete a test in an F2007 at the Fiorano circuit, beginning today.
Massa told the ANSA news agency that he was able to cope with the physical demands of driving an F1 car, but that he would respect the advice of doctors and not return to racing until next season.
'When I was inside the car it was as if nothing had happened: I'm the same bastard as before,' Massa told the ANSA news agency.
'Everything went well, I felt very good physically, it felt like the crash from 25 July had never occurred.
'I haven't had any eyesight problem and today I'd be ready to do not just one, but two races in a row.
'Obviously we need to respect the doctors' limitation as a precaution, but after getting in the car, I can say I'm back to what I was before the crash.
'We can start preparing for next year, which won't be an easy year because this one has been hard, and work to have a good car and fight for the championship.'
Massa also welcomed Fernando Alonso's arrival at the Italian squad, although he made it clear he expects the rival to be fierce.
'Alonso is a good professional,' Massa said.
'So I don't see why there should be any problem with him.
'He isn't coming here to become my best friend, what's important is the professional relationship.'
The Ferrari driver went on to say that he was still furious about Renaults actions during last year's Singapore Grand Prix, where he believes the result impacted on the outcome of the world championship.
'I'm still very angry, because what happened then didn't change just a race, but the entire championship,' said Massa.
'The winner of that race is still Alonso, Briatore has gone home, while nothing has changed regarding what they stole away from us.
'I'm very sorry about it, because the result of the championship could have been different.'
No comments:
Post a Comment