Friday, 9 October 2009

Forsyth: Du Beke's remarks were wrong

Bruce Forsyth stresses Anton Du Beke
Strictly Come Dancing host Bruce Forsyth has stressed he does not condone racist language after claiming in an interview the show's race row had been exaggerated.

The veteran presenter had said viewers should have a 'sense of humour' about the furore surrounding dancer Anton Du Beke's apology after it emerged he had called dance partner Laila Rouass a 'Paki'.

There were calls for the dancer to be sacked but veteran presenter Forsyth claimed the 'slip-up' should not be overexaggerated.

He has since issued a statement saying: 'To be absolutely clear, the use of racially offensive language is never either funny or acceptable.'

Speaking to Talksport on Thursday, the former Generation Game presenter had said: 'You go back 25, 30, 40 years and there has always been a bit of humour about the whole thing.

'Americans used to call us 'limeys' which doesn't sound very nice, but we used to laugh about it. Everybody has a nickname.'

Footballers' Wives actress Rouass, whose parents are Moroccan and Indian, has accepted Du Beke's apology and stressed she wishes to 'move on' from the matter.

Forysth had agreed, saying: 'I'm sure there was nothing vindictive about what he said... the page should be closed on it.'

He also defended 43-year-old Du Beke personally, commenting: ''He's a lovely, sensitive guy. OK, he can be a bit mouthy and can say quick things off-the-cuff like I do.'

'But when you're like that you can slip up every now and again. You can say something that you don't mean.'

After Victoria Derbyshire's Radio 5 show received a record 600 calls condeming Forsyth's comments, he has issued a clarification statement.

'I have been asked by a number of journalists to clarify what I meant and am therefore issuing this statement via the BBC, though I must emphasise that these are my personal views and not necessarily those of the BBC,' it read.

'What Anton said to Laila was wrong and he has apologised unreservedly for this.

'Nor do I in any way excuse or condone the use of such language. To be absolutely clear, the use of racially offensive language is never either funny or acceptable.

'However, there is a major difference between this and racist comments which are malicious in intent and whilst I accept that we live in a world of extraordinary political correctness, we should keep things in perspective.'

The BBC has also supported the dancer, with a spokesperson saying: 'The BBC does not condone offensive language in the workplace. Anton Du Beke has apologised unreservedly to Laila Rouass who has accepted his apology.'ADNFCR-708-ID-19399416-ADNFCR

No comments:

Post a Comment