Tuesday, 3 November 2009

Vettel: Perfect end to season

Vettel went unchallenged after the first round of pit-stops
Sebastien Vettel said to take a hat-trick of wins and Red Bull’s fourth one-two of the season in Abu Dhabi was the pefect way to end the year.

Vettel qualified second for today’s grand prix, but a quick turnaround by the Red Bull team in his first pit-stop and some quick in-laps put him ahead of pole-sitter Lewis Hamilton after the first round of stops.

From then on, the young German wasn’t challenged for the lead, as the McLaren team retired Hamilton win brake issues and his Red Bull team-mate Mark Webber fell back into of the new world champion Jenson Button.

In the post-race press-conference, Vettel said: 'It was a fantastic race.

'Obviously we weren’t good enough to out-accelerate Lewis Hamilton, but I was very close and going on the long back-straight, he pushed his KERS button and disappeared into the distance.

'But I stayed close enough, we knew we were a bit heavier and that was the key for us to catch up, especially through the last sector where I would catch him quite a lot.

'I felt a lot of pressure in the pit-stops when entering and leaving the pit-lane, I nearly went a bit wide, but I did enough to get past him.

'Unfortunately he had to retire and after that I had a little bit of a cushion over Mark Webber and Jenson Button behind me and I was able to pace myself.'

Vettel’s Red Bull RB5 worked well all weekend and the German, who clinched second in the drivers’ title over Rubens Barrichello with his win, congratulated his team on their achievements during 2009.

'The car was fantastic and it was working brilliantly up until the end on both compounds of tyre, although I think the prime was the favoured tyre today,' said Vettel.

'It was a pleasure to sit in the car this evening and, what can I say…

'To sum up the season, it has been up and down but we have been very strong in the second half, securing four one-twos for Red Bull.

'Congratulations to the team, because they have been pushing and working a lot back at the factory and the car is getting quicker.

'It’s a shame the season is at an end, but it’s the perfect day to end the season on a high.'

Vettel will remain with the Red Bull team in 2010 alongside his current team-mate Webber.ADNFCR-708-ID-19439591-ADNFCR

No comments:

Post a Comment