Arsenal's summer signing Thomas Vermaelen will make his Premier League debut this weekend.
The 23-year-old arrived at the Emirates from Ajax in a deal that could be worth up to £10 million.
The Belgium International played 45 minutes for his country against the Czech Republic earlier this week and is set to play against Everton at Goodsison Park in the Gunners opening game of the season.
'Thomas Vermaelen played 45 minutes for Belgium last night and came through OK so he will be available, said Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger.
However, Wenger still has a number of injury concerns with as many as six players unavailable to him for Saturday's game.
'We have some problems,' admitted Wenger.
'We have Theo Walcott who is not available. [Abou] Diaby has a little groin problem but he could be available.
'We have also lost Johan Djourou and Lukasz Fabianksi because they had injuries,' he added.
After four years without a trophy, some suggested that Wenger may leave Arsenal this summer, with the Frenchman being linked to Real Madrid.
However, Wenger believes leaving Arsenal would have meant betraying his beliefs and is focused on developing his young side.
'I want to go to the end of my job here. I built this team, I want to deliver with this team and I feel that if I left I would in some way have betrayed my beliefs,' said the Frenchman.
'It is nothing to do with what Real Madrid have done. I just couldn't see leaving this team at this stage of their development,' he added.
The 23-year-old arrived at the Emirates from Ajax in a deal that could be worth up to £10 million.
The Belgium International played 45 minutes for his country against the Czech Republic earlier this week and is set to play against Everton at Goodsison Park in the Gunners opening game of the season.
'Thomas Vermaelen played 45 minutes for Belgium last night and came through OK so he will be available, said Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger.
However, Wenger still has a number of injury concerns with as many as six players unavailable to him for Saturday's game.
'We have some problems,' admitted Wenger.
'We have Theo Walcott who is not available. [Abou] Diaby has a little groin problem but he could be available.
'We have also lost Johan Djourou and Lukasz Fabianksi because they had injuries,' he added.
After four years without a trophy, some suggested that Wenger may leave Arsenal this summer, with the Frenchman being linked to Real Madrid.
However, Wenger believes leaving Arsenal would have meant betraying his beliefs and is focused on developing his young side.
'I want to go to the end of my job here. I built this team, I want to deliver with this team and I feel that if I left I would in some way have betrayed my beliefs,' said the Frenchman.
'It is nothing to do with what Real Madrid have done. I just couldn't see leaving this team at this stage of their development,' he added.
No comments:
Post a Comment