Rafael Benitez believes Alex Ferguson is worried by the challenge of Manchester City.
As his team prepares to kick off the new season away to Tottenham on Sunday, the Spaniard claimed Manchester City are in with a chance of winning the Premier League and understands Ferguson's concerns.
'Manchester City are doing a good job,' said Benitez
'I understand why Mr Ferguson is a little bit worried,' he added.
The rival managers made a number of controversial comments towards each other last season, with Benitez claiming the United manager went unpunished for remarks he made about referees whilst Ferguson labelled the Liverpool manager arrogant.
The Merseyside club eventually finished runners-up to United in the league last season, however Benitez believes his team can improve and make another bid for the title.
'The players know we were very close,' he said.
'The pre-season has been difficult, but we know what this team can achieve.
'I think everyone wants to improve and the players will be ready for the start of the season,' he added.
Liverpool have a number of injury worries ahead of their game at White Hart Lane. New signing Alberto Aquilani is unavailable whilst Jamie Carragher and Daniel Agger are doubts and Steven Gerrard is rated as 50/50 following his withdrawal from the England squad.
'I'm really pleased he was withdrawn from the squad as a precaution,' said Benitez.
'Because the game with Tottenham is on Sunday, maybe he will have a chance.
'Carra is working with the physios and could be fit for Sunday, but it is more difficult for Agger. I think Skrtel will be fit,' he added.
As his team prepares to kick off the new season away to Tottenham on Sunday, the Spaniard claimed Manchester City are in with a chance of winning the Premier League and understands Ferguson's concerns.
'Manchester City are doing a good job,' said Benitez
'I understand why Mr Ferguson is a little bit worried,' he added.
The rival managers made a number of controversial comments towards each other last season, with Benitez claiming the United manager went unpunished for remarks he made about referees whilst Ferguson labelled the Liverpool manager arrogant.
The Merseyside club eventually finished runners-up to United in the league last season, however Benitez believes his team can improve and make another bid for the title.
'The players know we were very close,' he said.
'The pre-season has been difficult, but we know what this team can achieve.
'I think everyone wants to improve and the players will be ready for the start of the season,' he added.
Liverpool have a number of injury worries ahead of their game at White Hart Lane. New signing Alberto Aquilani is unavailable whilst Jamie Carragher and Daniel Agger are doubts and Steven Gerrard is rated as 50/50 following his withdrawal from the England squad.
'I'm really pleased he was withdrawn from the squad as a precaution,' said Benitez.
'Because the game with Tottenham is on Sunday, maybe he will have a chance.
'Carra is working with the physios and could be fit for Sunday, but it is more difficult for Agger. I think Skrtel will be fit,' he added.
No comments:
Post a Comment