Monday, 17 August 2009

Bolt smashes world record to claim gold

Usain Bolt set a blistering new world record as he claimed gold in the 100m at the World Championships in Berlin.

The triple Olympic champion recorded a time of 9.58 seconds, taking a remarkable 0.11 off the time he set when winning at the Beijing Olympics last year.

America's Tyson Gay set a national record to claim the silver in a time of 9.71, with Bolt's compatriot Asafa Powell claiming the bronze medal.

The only Briton in the field, Dwain Chambers, ran the 100m in a time of 10.00 to finish in sixth.

Bolt looked in supreme form the whole race, surging into the lead in the first 20 metres before pulling away from Gay in the second half.

The 22-year-old even had time to look around for his rivals and check the clock before crossing the finish line.

Speaking to the BBC after the race, Bolt said: 'I knew it was going to be a great race and I came out and executed it. It's a great time. I did well and I feel good in myself.'ADNFCR-708-ID-19314871-ADNFCR

No comments:

Post a Comment