Monday, 17 August 2009

Yang defeats Woods to claim US PGA

South Korea's Yang Yong-Eun won the US PGA Championship after an impressive final round saw him defeat a faltering Tiger Woods.

The 37-year-old had started the last day two shots behind Woods, but went round in 70, compared to the American's 75, to clinch victory on eight under par.

England's Lee Westwood and Northern Ireland's Rory McIlroy ended the tournament in joint third place, on three-under par.

Defending champion Padraig Harrington had also been in contention until the 8th hole when he hit the ball into the water twice, to finally record a quintuple-bogey, and drop from six-under to one-under par.

Woods had been hoping to claim a 15th major title and a fifth US PGA championship heading into Sunday.

However, for the first time in his career, the 33-year-old was unable to win a major he had led going into the final round.

It was his putting which ultimately let the world number one down, unable to hole a series of crucial puts and pull clear of Yang.

The South Korean, meanwhile, continued to play consistently, seemingly unaffected by the pressure.

'I knew the odds were against me. I tried to be the least nervous I have ever been and went for broke,' Yang said through a translator after the tournament.

'I've sort of visualised this quite a few times - playing against the best player in the history of golf, playing with him in the final round in a major. I have always dreamed about this.'

In winning the US PGA, Yang became the first ever Asian-born male winner of a major golf championship.ADNFCR-708-ID-19314882-ADNFCR

No comments:

Post a Comment