The family of a 16-year-old boy who fell to his death from a London tower block after being chased by a gang of youths almost a year ago have appealed for people to come forward with information.
Police claim Ahmed Benyermak was with friends on the 13th floor of the block of flats in Hackney, north-east London, on August 20th last year, when they became worried about the group cycling towards them.
The teenager later became separated from his friends and decided to climb outside of the tower block and attempted to descend down several floors to escape.
He managed to reach the seventh floor but then lost his grip and fell to his death.
The Metropolitan police launched an investigation into the incident which is being treated as an unlawful killing.
Senior investigating officer DCI Phil Rickells said: 'Officers retain an open mind regarding the circumstances of this incident. We believe there are still people out there with vital information on the events that led to Ahmed Benyermak falling to his death.
'It may be that people with information have not contacted us because they do not want to get involved, or think others are bound to come forward.
'I urge these people to contact us in confidence and talk over what you may have seen, know or have heard, no matter how insignificant you feel the information may be.'
Ahmed's mother Niama Abdain also released a statement today where she appealed to anyone with any information relating to her son's death to come forward.
'It has been a year since my beloved first born son, Ahmed died. Everyday I have to remind myself that I am never going to see him again. Part of me still thinks he will walk through my door,' she said.
'Life is so very short and to spend what time you have grieving for your son is so sad. I should be spending happy times with him watching him develop into the wonderful man I know he would have been.
'I would appeal to anyone who has any information about the death of my son to contact the police.'
Six males, aged between 17 and 27, were arrested in connection with Ahmed's death and have been bailed to return on date in November pending further enquiries.
Anyone with information is urged to contact the police on 020 8345 1570 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Police claim Ahmed Benyermak was with friends on the 13th floor of the block of flats in Hackney, north-east London, on August 20th last year, when they became worried about the group cycling towards them.
The teenager later became separated from his friends and decided to climb outside of the tower block and attempted to descend down several floors to escape.
He managed to reach the seventh floor but then lost his grip and fell to his death.
The Metropolitan police launched an investigation into the incident which is being treated as an unlawful killing.
Senior investigating officer DCI Phil Rickells said: 'Officers retain an open mind regarding the circumstances of this incident. We believe there are still people out there with vital information on the events that led to Ahmed Benyermak falling to his death.
'It may be that people with information have not contacted us because they do not want to get involved, or think others are bound to come forward.
'I urge these people to contact us in confidence and talk over what you may have seen, know or have heard, no matter how insignificant you feel the information may be.'
Ahmed's mother Niama Abdain also released a statement today where she appealed to anyone with any information relating to her son's death to come forward.
'It has been a year since my beloved first born son, Ahmed died. Everyday I have to remind myself that I am never going to see him again. Part of me still thinks he will walk through my door,' she said.
'Life is so very short and to spend what time you have grieving for your son is so sad. I should be spending happy times with him watching him develop into the wonderful man I know he would have been.
'I would appeal to anyone who has any information about the death of my son to contact the police.'
Six males, aged between 17 and 27, were arrested in connection with Ahmed's death and have been bailed to return on date in November pending further enquiries.
Anyone with information is urged to contact the police on 020 8345 1570 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
No comments:
Post a Comment