Defending champion Tyson Gay has pulled out of the men's 200m at the athletics World Championships in Berlin because of a groin injury.
The American star, who was expected to push world record holder Usain Bolt close in the final of the individual sprint event, will now miss out completely because of the niggling injury.
Gay has been struggling for several weeks with the strain and admitted his decision had been made with a view to his long-term fitness and his hopes of competing for the USA in the 4x100m relay event.
'Rather than risk further injury, I've decided that I will not compete in the first round of the 200m,' Gay said.
'I would like to be a part of Team USA's 4x100m and believe this decision will give me the best chance to be ready for the relay.
'I want to help our relay as best I can.'
Gay ran a national record 9.71 seconds in Sunday night's final of the men's 100m as he finished a distant second to Bolt, who set a new world record of 9.58s as he cruised to victory.
Bolt, who eased through the first heat in his 200m campaign this morning, is expected to lead Jamaica's star-studded relay team against the USA later this week.
The American star, who was expected to push world record holder Usain Bolt close in the final of the individual sprint event, will now miss out completely because of the niggling injury.
Gay has been struggling for several weeks with the strain and admitted his decision had been made with a view to his long-term fitness and his hopes of competing for the USA in the 4x100m relay event.
'Rather than risk further injury, I've decided that I will not compete in the first round of the 200m,' Gay said.
'I would like to be a part of Team USA's 4x100m and believe this decision will give me the best chance to be ready for the relay.
'I want to help our relay as best I can.'
Gay ran a national record 9.71 seconds in Sunday night's final of the men's 100m as he finished a distant second to Bolt, who set a new world record of 9.58s as he cruised to victory.
Bolt, who eased through the first heat in his 200m campaign this morning, is expected to lead Jamaica's star-studded relay team against the USA later this week.
No comments:
Post a Comment