In a frank and honest interview, reigning world champion Lewis Hamilton has admitted he made a mistake at the opening grand prix of the season in Australia.
The McLaren driver was disqualified from the Australian grand prix when he and his race engineer Dave Ryan attempted to mislead the stewards by withholding crucial evidence regarding an overtaking manoeuvre on the Toyota of Jarno Trulli under safety car conditions.
'Liegate' as it was named, cost Ryan his job at the Woking-based team, but Hamilton has admitted to the Daily Mail that he made a mistake.
'All I can say is, no one's perfect,' Hamilton said. 'I am a human being.
'You race to be a superstar, and you're looked at as a god or something silly.
'I'm not. I've got no superpowers, I'm a normal human being who's made it from nowhere.
'And I've got to somewhere. It just so happens that when I make a mistake, it's all over the tabloids.'
Hamilton continued: 'Every sportsman, every film actor, every great person that's doing well and achieving something, it's like, hype, hype, hype, and as soon as they make one slip-up, it's 'Wow'. It's one slip-up.'
After clinching the world champion last season in a titanic battle that went down to the final corner of the final grand prix of the year, Hamilton has struggled with his car in 2009.
But while McLaren have had a tough time Jenson Button has taken over as the lead Brit with the Brawn GP team.
He secured six wins in the first seven races of the season, and leads the championship standings by 18.5 points over Mark Webber in the Red Bull with seven races to go.
Button's fairytale rise to glory has led to a number of fans switching allegiances from Hamilton to the Brawn GP driver.
But Hamilton said he is not concerned about this, adding: 'It's the way the world works. People love winners. Some people love to support the team that's winning, like in football.'
The McLaren driver was disqualified from the Australian grand prix when he and his race engineer Dave Ryan attempted to mislead the stewards by withholding crucial evidence regarding an overtaking manoeuvre on the Toyota of Jarno Trulli under safety car conditions.
'Liegate' as it was named, cost Ryan his job at the Woking-based team, but Hamilton has admitted to the Daily Mail that he made a mistake.
'All I can say is, no one's perfect,' Hamilton said. 'I am a human being.
'You race to be a superstar, and you're looked at as a god or something silly.
'I'm not. I've got no superpowers, I'm a normal human being who's made it from nowhere.
'And I've got to somewhere. It just so happens that when I make a mistake, it's all over the tabloids.'
Hamilton continued: 'Every sportsman, every film actor, every great person that's doing well and achieving something, it's like, hype, hype, hype, and as soon as they make one slip-up, it's 'Wow'. It's one slip-up.'
After clinching the world champion last season in a titanic battle that went down to the final corner of the final grand prix of the year, Hamilton has struggled with his car in 2009.
But while McLaren have had a tough time Jenson Button has taken over as the lead Brit with the Brawn GP team.
He secured six wins in the first seven races of the season, and leads the championship standings by 18.5 points over Mark Webber in the Red Bull with seven races to go.
Button's fairytale rise to glory has led to a number of fans switching allegiances from Hamilton to the Brawn GP driver.
But Hamilton said he is not concerned about this, adding: 'It's the way the world works. People love winners. Some people love to support the team that's winning, like in football.'
No comments:
Post a Comment