Friday, 14 August 2009

BBC sacks presenter convicted of wounding teenage boy

A BBC presenter found guilty of wounding a teenage boy after hitting him in the face with a wooden pole has been sacked.

Midlands Today reporter Ashley Blake is said to have swung the 3ft-long umbrella pole above his head before striking 17-year-old Greg Jones in the face in an incident at a bar he owned in January.

The incident left Mr Jones with several facial injuries.

At Birmingham crown court earlier this month, Blake was found guilty of unlawful wounding and perverting the course of justice and warned he could face jail time when sentenced.

Speaking after the verdict, the presenter had declared: 'I can't believe it. There are no words to describe how I'm feeling right now.

'(I am) just gutted, absolutely gutted - and all because I did a favour for someone to host their party there. It's all over, isn't it? My job - everything.'

And on Thursday, the BBC announced Blake had been dismissed with immediate effect.

A spokesman said: 'Ashley Blake was found guilty last week of two serious charges.

'An internal process has resulted in Ashley's dismissal which is effective immediately.'

During his trial, Blake had denied attacking Mr Jones and was cleared of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

However, he was convicted of wounding and attempting to pervert the course of justice.

He was remanded on bail following the verdicts and is due to be sentenced on September 2nd.ADNFCR-708-ID-19312741-ADNFCR

No comments:

Post a Comment